Masterpassword, we need a user manual!

Villy Nielsen

04 Dec, 2018 01:30 PM

Hi team.
I find your idea about a non cloud based password generator is awesome and deserves MUCH more public attention.

I am now in a trial phase and I have several difficulties as NO user manual can be found on your site.
(A click on "Knowledge database", returns only a 404 fault message!)

So where is the manual?
Some examples of what I am looking for: (screen dumps in the attached PDF file).

1) "Enter your full legal name.... Incognito Y/N"
What does this mean and what are the consequences regarding security and user friendliness?

2) "Stay resident (reactivate with Meta+Crtl+P)".
What does this mean and what does it do? FYI, haven't seen a Meta key since the Sun Microsystems days...
If you mean the Win key, it does not give any sense. Win+Ctrl+P is the switch between monitors.

3) "Site login".
What does this mean, to fill in this field and what are the consequences regarding security and user friendliness?

4) "To save a personal value in these fields, change the type to saved in the site settings.
Is saved equal to: "Saved, AES encrypted, exportable"?
Again, what does it mean, and what consequences does it have, regarding security and user friendliness?

Finally, a severe concern:
How do I use Masterpassword on a 3rd party (e.g. public) computer, on which I don't want to install anything?
We have been told to use the web solution according to support tread May 23, 2016 @ 08:05 PM: Other computers.
I have tried it and your website actually returns the correct password. How can you do that, if NO data is placed in the cloud?????

Thx. a lot in advance
Kind regards.
Villy

Btw. If you want any assistance regarding writing a manual and translating you website into Scandinavian languages, please let me know.

1. 1 Posted by Ole Bak on 31 Jan, 2019 03:32 PM

Hi Villy
    Guess You are danish like me :-)
    Your password is created on site by an algorithm made by a mix of your name, Your master password and the url. If You spell the url with capital you will get a totally different password for the site. it a kind of password-machine, and you will get the same password if you write the exact same information, and thats the secret about no server and no sync

Regards
    Ole Bak

2. 2 Posted by peter.r.fife on 01 Feb, 2019 07:56 AM

But, you have to save the master password somewhere, no matter which version of MasterPassword you're using. Where is this saved, please?

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Maarten Billemo... on 02 Feb, 2019 01:23 AM

The master password is not saved anywhere.

The reason the website can calculate the same password as the app you're using has nothing to do with cloud, but everything to do with math.

Think of it this way:
    5 + 3 = 8.

You don't need to save 8 in the cloud in order to do the sum again. You can buy a calculator in Spain, Japan or Brazil, and it will always say 5 + 3 = 8. You need to save nothing to do this math. The same is true for Master Password. <name> + <master password> + <site> = <password>.

Every time you want to calculate the password, you will need to type in your name and your master password so the algorithm can make the "sum".

In reality, it is of course not a sum but a cryptographic algorithm that protects against brute-force reversal attacks and all other known password and crypto attack vectors.

4. 4 Posted by Betty smith on 10 Feb, 2019 12:06 AM

Help there is a picture on my phone that needs a master password. I do not know how to get one. Now on my smartphone there is a factory reset warning. What to do I only have 2 more turns to put in something

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac

Recent Discussions

13 Apr, 2019 08:26 PM
11 Apr, 2019 04:17 PM
07 Apr, 2019 11:29 AM