Password-Counter

Dennis

26 Jul, 2018 12:57 PM

Hey there!

If a Website dont accept a created Password i push the Counter to create a new one till i fits. So i have many different Counters across all Websites. If i want to log in, on an other device i've to remember all the Couternumbers. Is there an easyer Way to create new secure Passwords without using the Counter?

Thanks and regards.
Dennis

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Maarten Billemo... on 26 Jul, 2018 02:35 PM

Hi Dennis,

Getting new passwords for the same site is exactly what the counter is for. Anything you would do to get a "new" password has to make some kind of a change to the site configuration.

I do see your frustration, though. Website password policies force us to do annoying things like these. Restrictive password policies have been contra-indicated for a long time now, but many websites keep using them for lack of a better understanding of security.

As the years go by, website owners are beginning to realize it is better to allow for simple but long passwords than to force a human to pick characters from restrictive sets of values. Hopefully we can all transition to a default counter 1 Maximum Security password for each of our sites in the next few years as site owners fix their password policies.

2. 2 Posted by Dennis Schlegel on 26 Jul, 2018 02:39 PM

Thanks for your fast answer.

Best regards
    Dennis

3. 3 Posted by Klaus on 09 Aug, 2018 10:59 AM

Actually it would be nice if we could use a shared file for our site and iteration informations (let's say I'd have that in my private cloud storage). So no matter what device I'd use (as long as it is mine), I'd have the latest information and therefor the correct password available. If the app would sync it locally that would be even better!

In our company I'm forced to change my passwords regularly, Often enough that I don't even remember which iteration I'm in with those passwords. Which makes it nigh to impossible to get the right one if I had to use another phone ...

So a common store for one's devices would be very much appreciated indeed.

4. Support Staff 4 Posted by Maarten Billemo... on 09 Aug, 2018 02:16 PM

The common format is described here:
    https://gitlab.com/MasterPassword/MasterPassword/wikis/File-Format

This file format is currently implemented in Desktop and the standard C implementation, and is coming to iOS and macOS shortly.

For now, iOS and macOS use an internal format and can create export files that can also be imported on the other apps.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac

Recent Discussions

15 Dec, 2018 10:54 AM
06 Dec, 2018 04:43 AM
05 Dec, 2018 05:24 PM