Syncing with mac

's Avatar

19 Apr, 2018 05:00 PM

I downloaded the app on my iphone and I can't figure out how to sync my passwords to my mac. Help please?

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Maarten Billemo... on 19 Apr, 2018 05:16 PM

This app does not send passwords over the internet. Ergo, it also does not sync.

Just create the same user on your mac and you'll see the same passwords. Sync is not needed.

2. 2 Posted by Arthur on 08 May, 2018 03:10 PM

I believe that a sync is needed between the iphone and my macbookpro. I maintain my list of passwords in Master Password on my computer. After awhile, because of changes to passwords due to website's that demand new passwords, the list on my iphone is no longer "in date" and when I try to use a password on the phone and have neglected to update the iphone MP file, I get errors and sometimes even get locked out. Having to change sometimes even the very type of password as well as the increment of the password, creates a situation where the password on the other device is invalid. There needs to be a way to update the file rather than just creating a new entry. And even creating a new entry won't tell me that the password needs to be a particular type and increment to match the computer. And having to consult the computer to verify a password's type and increment is not always possible when I'm traveling. So there needs to be a way to sync between the devices.
    Also, it would be helpful if MP would be able to open the password file using my fingerprint.

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Maarten Billemo... on 08 May, 2018 04:16 PM

Integrating sync is a non-trivial thing. It involves infrastructure, heavy security, and a portable protocol that is both open and can be implemented not just between iOS and Mac but also on any other architecture. It involves hardware or SaaS. It gets expensive quickly.

I understand and agree with you that there is a use case, but at this stage it's a question of, is Master Password ready to make this type of investment, and why? Master Password is inherently a stateless solution, furthermore it has built-in features allowing people to synchronize their apps using import/export files. There are many things that need to be weighed and currently the balance just isn't in favour of this type of investment at the expense of all other improvements that can really benefit the Master Password community.

4. 4 Posted by artjoy on 08 May, 2018 05:10 PM

Thanks for the response. I can certainly agree with you concerning whether the expense at doing something is worth the cost. I had originally looked for instructions to “sync” my iphone with an exported file from MP on my computer. But I couldn’t find that info and left the comment instead. I tried sending the exported file to mail on my iphone and tried to open the file but it didn’t do anything except show me the data. And I couldn’t find anything in the program that asked for an import.

Arthur Joyce
    [email blocked]

Never pet a flaming dog!

Check out the thought for today <http://abjoyce.us/selahs/thoughts> (i.e. Selah) - It’s something worth thinking about!

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by Maarten Billemo... on 08 May, 2018 05:12 PM

To import the file, hit the iOS "share" icon, and then select the Master Password app from the list.

6. 6 Posted by artjoy on 11 May, 2018 04:33 PM

I’m still having a problem getting the imported file to work. A dialog always comes up saying that there was an internal error but not giving any other information than that!

Along with the above, I would like to suggest/request a change in the format for the exported data. I would like to see the report be more spreadsheet friendly by not putting spaces in to center a cell’s data, and making separate columns for “Last Used,” “Times Used,” “Password Type,” and “Login Name,” instead of having all those in one column.

Arthur Joyce
    [email blocked]

7. Support Staff 7 Posted by Maarten Billemo... on 11 May, 2018 04:41 PM

Check to make sure you don't have two times the same user in Master Password. If you have two users with the same name, delete one of them.

WRT the format of the file, it's actually going to get a little more technical, because we need to include additional metadata per site, to support new features such as site security questions. The new format is based on the open JSON format and described here:
    https://github.com/Lyndir/MasterPassword/wiki/File-Format

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac

Recent Discussions

19 Oct, 2018 12:34 AM