How to import sites into terminal from Mac app exports?

Soham Sadhu

02 Feb, 2021 09:19 PM

As the question says, I am unable to import all the websites I created on my previous laptop Mac to a terminal application in Ubuntu laptop.

The Mac app exports the sites file as first-name last-name (YYYY-MM-DD).mpjson. When I present this file to be ingested by master password in terminal it says invalid file format.

workbook ~ % mpw -f Documents/first_name\ last_name\ \(2021-02-02\).mpjson Invalid sites format: Documents/first_name last_name (2021-02-02).mpjson

The file does exist in the above location. Just to make sure, that terminal was not confused, I provided it the absolute path to the file. The results were still the same.

Just to go around the problem I copy-pasted the contents of mpjson file to this location .mpw.d/first-name\ last-name.mpsites.json and tried again, and the results were still the same.

Maybe I am not reading the usage guide properly or the export of the file from mac app is incompatible with the terminal app.

The problem is now I am stuck on my other non-Mac laptop typing in the website password preferences and counters. Also, it does not remember my login names, which are there in the app.

Could you please let me know if there is any way I can use the mpjson file or do I have to just create the sites and user names again by scratch and by typing them again in my terminal or desktop app in Ubuntu.

Any directions on how to alleviate the problem are appreciated.

Thanks,
Soham

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Maarten Billemo... on 02 Feb, 2021 09:29 PM

Hi Soham,

First and foremost - please make sure you're using the CLI version on MasterPassword's master branch to make sure you're using the most up-to-date version of the parser.
    https://gitlab.com/MasterPassword/MasterPassword

If you're still having trouble, would you be able to create a test user on your Mac and share that user's export file so I can take a closer look?

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac

Recent Discussions

01 Mar, 2021 03:27 PM
27 Feb, 2021 02:37 AM
26 Feb, 2021 09:43 PM