Get password file from bad hard drive to install on new hard drive

Arthur Joyce

18 May, 2019 09:54 PM

I am a long-time user of master password, and appreciate its value. I am now needing to replace the hard disk in my computer. I need to get hold of the master password file on the hard drive that no longer brings up my computer. And Apple support person was able to put my computer in target mode so that I could remove some files on it. I made a time machine back up of my hard drive a couple of weeks ago. I am needing to get either through my time machine back up or the target mode process a copy of the file that contains all of my passwords so that I can put it on the new hard drive. How would you propose that I go about doing that? Your help is greatly appreciated!

1. 1 Posted by Arthur Joyce on 18 May, 2019 10:18 PM

OK, never mind. It was a dumb question. I realize that there is no file, and that's the beauty of the program! You get the program, put in your name as you used it before, set your password as you had before, and then simply type the websites where you want to use a password. After you create the site the password will show for that site. The only problem is you have to know what kind of password you used and what iteration you were using for that password. If you can remember those things you will most likely get the password you are looking for. But if you are unable to remember the adoration for the password, it will be a lot of trial and error! Or, you simply tell the state you need a new password, and then you can create a new password.

2. 2 Posted by Arthur Joyce on 18 May, 2019 10:23 PM

Iteration instead of adoration

Tell the site instead of tell the state

Boy, I sure don't like the auto correct Siri uses!

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac